Masked man robbed the same grocers twice in two days – and he also held the place up eight years ago

A masked brute who targeted the same shop twice in two days had already served time for raiding the off licence with a blade eight years ago.

Andrew McGhee, 41, sparked terror when he burst into the One O One convenience store at Kilbarchan Road, Johnstone, and thrust a screwdriver in the face of shop assistant Elaine McKenna, as she worked behind the counter, and demanded she hand over cash.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard Ms McKenna’s colleague, shop manager Bernadette McKeown, her daughter Jennifer and 11-year-old grand-daughter were in the shop on the evening of March 1, this year when the heist took place.

They were forced to flee terrified into a store room, locking the door, while McGhee ransacked the till, stealing cash and cigarettes.

Masked-up McGhee then went back to the same shop the following day when he robbed the shop again, forcing Ms  McKeown to flee out the door, in fear of her life, where he snatched her purse, robbed cash and again stole


He appeared via video link at the court where he pleaded guilty to charges of assault and robbery against Ms McKenna by presenting a screwdriver at her, gesturing towards her, demanding she hand over money, and robbing her of cash, cigarettes and rolling papers.

He also admitted a second charge of masking his face and entering the same shop the day after, causing Ms McKeown to flee, where he stole cigarettes and a purse, while in possession of a screwdriver.

Procurator fiscal depute Frankie Morgan told how the victims have been left “traumatised and terrified” by the back-to-back robberies.

He said: “This has left them in fear of him and for having their children at work.”

And it emerged that it was second time that McGhee, formerly of Ryefield Avenue, Johnstone, had robbed victim Ms McKeown, having targeted the shop before.

Prosecutor Mr Morgan told the court: “The accused received a conviction at the High Court for a charge of assault and robbery.

“On February 23, 2012, the accused McGhee pleaded guilty to robbery at the One O One store, Kilbarchan Road, Johnstone, and assault on Ms Bernadette McKeown by presenting a knife and robbing her of money and cigarettes.”

Defence agent Charlie McCusker said: “Clearly he recognises this is a very serious matter, and fully accepts that.

“His record will cause the court major concern, particularly the matter in 2012, for which a custodial sentence was


Sheriff Tom McCartney told McGhee he was certainly facing a jail stretch given the “serious nature” of his crimes.

He added: “These are made more serious by your record of previous convictions and a substantial prison sentence can be the only possible outcome.”

He adjourned sentencing him to call for background reports to include post supervision release for “protection of the public.”

McGhee will discover his fate on December 17.

Daily Record – Paisley